World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday gave its first emergency approval since the start of the pandemic to the COVID-19 vaccine of Pfizer-BioNTech, which will facilitate its use in countries that have not yet validated it.
- “It is a very positive step to guarantee universal access,” he said. Mariangela Simao, director in charge of access to medicines in this agency of the HIM-HER-IT.
WHO and Pfizer–BioNTech
Through a statement released on their social networks, the WHO explained that this is a validation for emergency use of the vaccine against him COVID-19 developed in partnership by the German pharmaceutical company BioNTech and the american Pfizer; It will motivate other countries that have not yet approved it to do the same to unify the fight against the pandemic globally.
“It is a very positive step to ensure global access to the COVID-19 vaccines. The WHO emphasizes the need for an even greater global effort to supply sufficient vaccines to meet the needs of priority populations everywhere (with support from Pfizer and BioNTech)”.
Mariangela Simao, Director of Access to Medicines and Health Products of the WHO.
- The WHO assured that the approval of the Pfizer and BioNTech It is not a coincidence.
- He clarified that it is the result of exhaustive scientific tests to ensure quality products.
- “We encourage more drug companies to submit” their vaccines for review and evaluation.
“Safety, efficacy and quality” are the main aspects that the WHO analyzes in the antidotes that aspire to become COVID-19 vaccines, like the one already distributed worldwide by Pfizer and BioNTech: “The review of the WHO found that the vaccine Pfizer and BioNTech meets essential criteria, and that the benefits of using it to address the COVID-19 they outweigh the potential risks ”.
COVID-19 vaccine of Pfizer and BioNTech
- Requires “ultra cold” chain storage.
- It should be stored between -60 and -90 degrees centigrade (° C).
- WHO already talking to countries lacking “ultra-cold” chains.
The WHO clarified on the emergency approval of the COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech:
“The objective is to make medicines, vaccines and diagnostics available as quickly as possible to address the emergency, respecting criteria of security, effectiveness and quality. The evaluation of the WHO weighs the threat posed by the emergency, as well as the benefit to be gained from using the product from Pfizer and BioNTech against any potential risk ”.