Press "Enter" to skip to content

Tyson Fury says he fights vs. Anthony Joshua will be August 14

Tyson Fury has received assurances from Prince Khalid Adbdulaziz Al Saud, the Saudi defense secretary, that his four-belt heavyweight unification bout with Anthony Joshua will take place on August 14 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

“I just got off the phone with Prince Khalid of Saudi Arabia,” Fury said in a video posted on Twitter Sunday morning. “He told me this fight is 100% on August 14, 2021 … All eyes in the world will be on the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. And I can’t wait, I repeat, I can’t wait, to crush Anthony Joshua in the biggest stage of all time. This will be the biggest sporting event that has ever existed on planet earth. “

Even Fury’s American promoter Bob Arum, who has been more circumspect and expressed doubts about the huge $ 155 million proposed deal, was uplifted Sunday morning.

“We haven’t got the final contracts yet, we’re supposed to have a clean draft on Monday,” Arum said. “But Prince Khalid has assured Tyson that there will be no problems, and everyone who has dealt with Prince Khalid and his team knows that they are men of their word.”

The site fee, as ESPN previously reported, is $ 155 million, according to sources. The money would include $ 75 million for each, Fury and Joshua, according to the agreement between them, signed in March, and $ 5 million for “expenses and billboard,” according to the sources.

The site fee dwarfs the previous record: $ 60 million for Joshua’s rematch with then-champion Andy Ruiz, also in Saudi Arabia, in December 2019.

Arum said Fury-Joshua would take place in Jeddah, a resort town by the Red Sea, which is cooler than the other possible site, Riyadh. Arum said the fight “would probably be around midnight Saudi time,” that is, on Saturday morning in the United States.

“This is the biggest fight in boxing and one of the biggest sporting events in the world,” Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn told ESPN in March when the two British champions signed a two-fight contract. This site fee applies to your first fight only, not a rematch.

Hearn, who negotiated the 2019 deal with Prince Khalid’s team, has been instrumental in these negotiations, remaining publicly optimistic despite the growing storm of naysayers. In late April, Arum predicted the fight was “dead in the water.”

The negotiations have been laborious. In recent days, a problem has arisen over what promoters saw as an overly broad ‘force majeure’ provision that would have allowed the Saudis to stage the fight anytime before Dec. 31. “Apparently everything is settled,” Arum said.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *