Press "Enter" to skip to content

The police knew him – bow-and-arrow killers converted to Islam before the act

Could the terrible bloodshed by Norway have been prevented?

The man, who killed five people and injured two others in the Norwegian city of Kongsberg (southwest of Oslo) on Wednesday evening, according to information from the police, converted to Islam before his act and had become radicalized. It has therefore been in the focus of the authorities for a long time.

The investigators announced this on Thursday at a press conference. The police initially gave no further information about the exact motive of the captured Dane (37).

+++ BILD is now also on TV! Click here for BILD LIVE +++

Police chief Ole B. Saeverud said: “There were concerns that the man could be radicalized.” These fears had been followed up in 2020 and before.

In addition to a bow and arrow, the man also had a knife and other weapons with him. The police also gave more information about the victims on Thursday: According to Saeverud, the dead were four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70. Among other things, the perpetrator shot in an office building and killed several people in a supermarket.

All victims died after first contact with the police

As the police further described, all victims of the bow and arrow killer died after the first contact with the emergency services: After the police became aware of the man, the perpetrator shot them with arrows. According to official information, there is also a police officer among the victims of the attack.

Saeverud announced that further details will be announced when you have obtained an even more precise overview. It is known, however, that the two injured are currently still in intensive care – one of the two is a police officer who was off duty in the supermarket.

He threatened family members with death

The responsible public prosecutor had previously announced that the man had admitted the acts. She confirmed that he had been in contact with the Norwegian health service on several occasions. It was not clear from the statements whether the man was being treated for mental health problems.

Like the newspaper “World Gang“Reported, there had only been serious incidents between the perpetrator and his close family members last year: Because he threatened two family members with death, he was banned from contact.

The country is in shock after the worst attack in Norway since Anders Breivik’s attack ten years ago. Police chief Saeverud concerned: “It goes without saying that this is a very serious situation. This of course affects Kongsberg and everyone who lives here. “

Prime Minister-designate Jonas Gahr Støre, who is due to take office on Thursday, called the attack “appalling”. Gahr Støre told the TV broadcaster NRK: “This is unreal. But it is actually a reality that five people have been killed and many injured, that many are in shock. “

UN Secretary General António Guterres wrote on Twitter that he was “shocked and saddened by the tragic news from Norway”.

The city of Kongsberg has meanwhile opened the city’s largest church for citizens to find refuge.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *