Press "Enter" to skip to content

Suspect of the attack on the Capitol was delirious

The man who rammed his vehicle into two police officers at a barricade outside the United States Capitol, killing one of them before being shot down by police suffered from hallucinations, paranoia and suicidal tendencies, an official source revealed to The Associated Press. Saturday.

Detectives surmise that it was an isolated incident, the work of a disturbed young man.

Video of the incident on Friday afternoon shows the driver exiting the car with a knife in one hand and then running toward the pair of officers, Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman told reporters. Officers shot the man, Noah Green, 25, who died in a hospital.

Investigators are targeting Green’s mental health as they try to find the motives for the assault, said the source, who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity as he was not allowed to discuss the matter publicly. He added that detectives spoke with Green’s relatives, who reported that Green suffered from hallucinations.

Green described himself as a follower of the Nation of Islam and its founder, Louis Farrakhan, noting that when he was going through a difficult time he leaned on his faith, according to recent messages posted online that have already been removed. The messages were collected by the SITE group, which tracks online activity.

“To be honest, these last few years have been difficult, and these last few months have been more difficult,” he wrote. “I have been on trial against some of the greatest and most unimaginable challenges in my life. I am currently unemployed after leaving my job due in part to afflictions, but ultimately in search of a spiritual journey. “

It was the second death this year of an element of the Capitol Police, which continues to fight to recover from the insurrection of January 6. The attack reveals that the building and the area – as well as the agents assigned to protect them – remain potential targets for violent incidents.

Police identified the deceased officer as William Evans, an 18-year veteran who was a member of the department’s first aid unit.

The Washington region remains in suspense nearly three months after a mob of insurgents loyal to former President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol as Congress voted to certify Biden’s victory in the presidential election.

Five people were killed in the Jan.6 assault, including Capitol Agent Brian Sicknick, who was part of the small contingent of police trying to repel intruders.

Authorities installed a high perimeter barrier around the Capitol and for months restricted traffic on the streets near the site, but had begun to relax some of the emergency measures. Barriers that impeded vehicular traffic near the area were recently removed.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *