More than 10 million users in at least 12 states in the country were affected by power outages and intermittent signal on their cell phones.
According to media and citizen reports, the cuts are only in certain areas, and they are even partial in some locations such as Colonia Roma Sur and Narvarte Poniente, in Mexico City.
Read more: CFE electrical substation burns down in the Benito Juárez mayor’s office, CDMX
The reports also come from municipalities and neighborhoods of the State of Mexico, Hidalgo, Jalisco, Nuevo León, Yucatán, San Luis Potosí, Nayarit, Guanajuato, Coahuila, Morelos, Tabasco, Hidalgo and Querétaro.
The Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) stated that at 2:29 pm, “they went out of operation 10.3 million users“Due to a low frequency throughout the national territory, this” because of generation power plant outlets.
“This program is applied so as not to affect all users in the country,” published the CFE.
The @CFEmx informs that at 2:29 pm, 10.3 million users went out of operation due to a low frequency throughout the national territory, this due to generation power stations.
This program is applied so as not to affect all users in the country.
– CFEmx (@CFEmx) December 28, 2020
An hour after the court cut, the CFE said that it had already electricity supply restored to 4.7 million users, “45% complete.”
By 4:12 p.m., it reported a 100% charge recovery.
In the case of Mexico City, the municipalities that reported the lack of electricity were Iztapalapa, Cuauhtémoc, Benito Juárez, among others.
Meanwhile, the Mexico City Metro suspended the service from Pantitlán to Tepalcates on Line A for about 40 minutes, however the service is already being restored.
#AvisoMetroAfter the electric power supply is reactivated, the service from Pantitlán to Guelatao and vice versa is resumed, at the moment the entire Line A offers normal service and the advance of the trains is continuous. #MobilityCDMX
— MetroCDMX (@MetroCDMX) December 28, 2020
“Unbalance” in the system
The National Center for Energy Control (Cenace) announced that on the afternoon of December 28 there was “an imbalance in the National Interconnected System between the load and the generation of energy causing a loss of approximately 7,500 MW.”
He also said that automatic protection schemes were activated “with the aim of minimizing a greater risk”, and that work is being done in a coordinated manner in the restoration of supply, together with CFE.