Querret (Albania) – A fatal end to a dream vacation: four Russian tourists died in a hotel sauna in the Albanian coastal town of Querret. As reported by the Albanian media, citing the police, the two men and two women between the ages of 31 and 60 were found lifeless in the Hotel Gloria Palace late on Friday evening.
Based on the matching surnames of three victims, the media suspect that the dead are a married couple, their grown-up daughter and their daughter’s boyfriend. Police officers, prosecutors and coroners have started investigations. Asphyxiation is considered a possible cause of death.
Investigators check whether the technology was defective, the vacationers died of alcohol poisoning or that hotel staff had neglected the guests. One employee told the police that she went to the hotel’s wellness area around 10.30 p.m. to inform guests that alcohol and fruit had been delivered to their rooms. When she got no answer, she went into the sauna and found the four dead.
The police found out that the family traveled to Albania with four other Russians last Sunday. Because the group had also made a detour to North Macedonia, the police are now also investigating whether hallucinogenic drugs could have been involved.