Myanmar: Police crack down on protesters

Status: 02/27/2021 4:05 p.m.

Since the military coup in Myanmar at the beginning of February there have been repeated protests. There were clashes with the police again in several cities. There were also shots. And apparently there have been many arrests.

In Myanmar, security forces continued to use force against demonstrators. In the largest city of Yangon, police fired shots and arrested several participants at several locations where protesters had gathered to rallies against the junta, eyewitnesses reported on social networks. According to media reports, a woman was shot dead in the city of Monywa. There is no official confirmation yet.

It is also not clear how many people were arrested. The AFP news agency reported, citing police circles, that there were more than 140 arrests. According to a representative of the human rights organization AAPP, there were “definitely hundreds”. They are now trying to find out the names of those arrested.

Security forces once again use violence against demonstrators

Tagesschau 09:20 a.m., February 27, 2021

Rubber shots fired

According to an AFP reporter, police fired rubber bullets to disperse protesters. It is unclear whether there was sharp shooting. The police drove protesters and journalists from the Myaynigone intersection, where security forces and demonstrators had already met on Friday. The military junta has banned gatherings of more than five people.

Massive action by the security forces has also been reported in other cities, using tear gas and rubber bullets against demonstrators, among other things. According to a report by the online portal “Myanmar Now”, journalists who reported on the protests were also targeted by the police in Yangon.

At the beginning of February the military in Myanmar had put up a coup against Prime Minister Aung San Suu Kyi. The 75-year-old won the parliamentary elections in November by a clear margin. Mass protests in Myanmar had occurred repeatedly since the coup. The demonstrators are demanding the release of the appointed head of government and the reinstatement of her civilian government. The military has recently cracked down on the resistance movement with increasing severity.

General election declared invalid

The new head of the electoral commission in Myanmar, appointed by the military junta, has meanwhile declared the result of the general election in November invalid. Thein Soe announced the decision on Friday at a meeting with political parties in the Southeast Asian country, reported the newspaper “The Irrawaddy”.

Leave a Comment