A youth died ten days after being stung by a jellyfish. The accident happened in Australia, where the extremely dangerous species is widespread.
In northern Australia, a youngster was killed by a highly poisonous box jellyfish. The 17-year-old was hit ten days ago while swimming on the Cape York headland by the tentacles of a so-called box jellyfish (sea wasp) and has now died in hospital as a result, the broadcaster 9News reported on Thursday, citing the police. It is believed that it is the first time in 15 years that a person has died in Australia from a sting of the most poisonous jellyfish species in the world, it said.
Nettle poisons cause serious illness
“We see both box jellyfish and other species of jellyfish that cause Irukandji syndrome in our waters,” the authorities warned. This is poisoning caused by nettle poison, which can cause severe pain, nausea and pulmonary edema. “If you don’t have a protective suit and you know there might be jellyfish in the water, then just don’t go in,” it said.
The species of jellyfish scientifically known as “Chironex fleckeri” is extremely dangerous. The cnidarians are transparent, the shade is square. They are a major threat to bathing people on the North Queensland coast, especially in the warmer months. Your sting is extremely painful immediately. It is estimated that around 70 people have died from contact with large box jellyfish in Australia so far. A sting should not be treated with water, but with vinegar, they said.