For five days, emergency services have been fighting forest fires in Turkey. Several villages were evacuated in the Bodrum holiday region on Sunday night! Around 540 people had to be brought to safety by boat because the roads were no longer usable.
On Saturday evening, 100 Russian tourists were brought out of the danger zone from an eastern suburb of Bodrum and relocated to other hotels. The Russian consulate general in Antalya announced this on Facebook.
Another village had to be evacuated in the province of Antalya on Sunday, as the broadcaster ntv reported.
The worst forest fires in years have raged in Turkey since Wednesday. Forest Minister Bekir Pakdemirli announced on Sunday that five of the originally more than 100 fires were still active. There are still sources of fire in the southern and western Turkish provinces of Antalya and Mugla. Strong winds fanned the fire again and again and made it difficult to extinguish the fire.
According to official information, the fires have so far claimed at least six deaths – one person lost his life in Marmaris and five people died in Antalya. Hundreds were injured.
On Saturday evening, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan visited the affected regions and assured the victims of quick help. The number of fire-fighters has increased to 16 with the support of Russia, Iran and Ukraine, he said.
According to Erdogan, 45 fire-fighting helicopters, drones and thousands of emergency services are also helping.
The Turkish president also said a fire in Marmaris was caused by children. The investigations into the cause of the other fires would continue, and arson is not ruled out.
The Turkish government has been criticized for days. Reason: Although the country has many helicopters, it does not have its own operational fire-fighting aircraft.
Turkey is currently suffering from a heat wave. Temperatures of more than 40 degrees Celsius are also forecast for the coming days in the affected regions.