Status: 03.01.2021 8:52 p.m.
The number of victims after an attack on two villages in Niger is increasing: the government now speaks of more than 100 dead and at least 20 injured. No one has yet confessed to the attack.
The death toll after the attack in Niger, West Africa, has risen to more than 100. Prime Minister Birgi Rafini announced this after visiting the two affected villages near the border with Mali. So far, no group has acknowledged the attack. According to the Nigerien interior minister Alkache Alhada, at least 20 people were injured in the attack.
Attacked villages on the border with Mali
The attack occurred on Saturday in the villages of Tchombangou and Zaroumdareye, near the border with Mali. The attack is said to have been in retaliation for the murder of two fighters by villagers, the interior minister said.
Young people from the two villages had tried to form a self-defense group in the contested area. The armed men are believed to have come from neighboring Mali on motorbikes. The Nigerien authorities are following them, said the interior minister. Alhada called the attackers “jihadists”.
Again and again attacks
Attacks occur again and again in Niger. Numerous terrorist groups and criminal gangs are active in the West African state, especially in the border areas with neighboring states such as Mali, Burkina Faso, Nigeria and Chad. It was only in mid-December that the Boko Haram terrorist militia set hundreds of houses on fire in a village in Niger and killed several people.
Niger is one of the poorest countries in the world and one of the main transit countries for African migrants to Europe. This is why the desert state is the EU’s most important partner in the Sahel region in the fight against illegal migration and the spreading terrorism in West Africa.
At the beginning
This article was printed out at the address: