A police officer died and another was injured this Friday after a vehicle rammed them into one of the entrances to the fenced perimeter of the United States Capitol, which was armored and is under maximum alert, three months after the violent seizure perpetrated by followers of the Former President Donald Trump.

The incident occurred at 1:02 p.m. (5:02 p.m. GMT) when the suspect ran over the two officers guarding the North Barrier of the Capitol, Congressional Police Chief Yogananda Pittman said.

The suspect exited the vehicle with a knife in his hand and did not respond to the verbal warnings given to him by the agents present at the scene, after which the police officers shot him.

“One of our agents succumbed to his injuries,” Pittman said at a news conference, without identifying the deceased agent.

The authorities have not yet released any information about the driver of the vehicle, who according to US media was killed in the attack.

At the moment the authorities do not consider the incident as an act related to “terrorism” and indicated that there is no “ongoing threat”.

The incident “does not appear to be related to terrorism, but we have to continue investigating to see if there is any such link,” Robert Contee, the District of Columbia Police Chief, told reporters. “We need to understand the motivation behind this senseless act,” he added.

Television images showed a blue car that had crashed into a security barrier on one of the streets leading to the United States Congress. They also showed two people on stretchers, who appeared to be the wounded officers.

After what happened this Friday, the Capitol and the adjacent buildings were closed. In any case, Congress was in recess for Easter, so there were fewer personnel in the place.

– The National Guard –

This incident follows the violent assault on the Capitol building on January 6 by Trump supporters who wanted to disrupt the election certification.

The group sought to prevent the officialization of the results of the November elections in which Joe Biden prevailed over Trump, after the former Republican president claimed without providing evidence that there was fraud in the elections.

Five people were killed in the January incidents, including a Capitol police officer.

Since then, senior security officials have warned that there is a threat from far-right groups and supporters of former President Trump.

After the assault on Congress, the authorities erected a barrier and closed a wide perimeter around the Capitol, but in recent days they began to reduce the fenced area and open up traffic.

Congressman Peter Meijer called on Twitter to “pray” for the Capitol police officers and emergency personnel at the scene.

“We are trying to understand the situation that is developing on Capitol Hill right now,” said the congressman.

After the outrage, a large contingent of national guard agents and vehicles were mobilized at the scene and a helicopter landed in the area.

co-an / gma

Read more