A Capitol Police Officer And His Attacker Killed In A Violent Incident That Forced The Closing Of The US Congress Building | Univision Politics News

A Capitol police officer died this Friday in a violent incident that forced the closure of the Congress building and also killed the attacker and wounded the other agent, as Yogananda Pittman, acting chief of the Capitol Police, confirmed at a press conference.

The agents were injured this Friday when the attacker rammed his vehicle into them. The three were taken to the hospital, as reported on their Twitter account by the Capitol Police.

Police identified the deceased officer as William Evans, who had been with the Capitol Police for 18 years and was a member of the “First Responders” unit.

Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman released a statement mourning Evans’ death. “It is with deep sadness that I share the information of the death of Officer William Billy Evans for injuries caused after the attack of a vehicle in the north barricade of a solitary aggressor, “says the text, released after the family was notified of the death.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a statement that “today, once again, these heroes risked their lives to protect our Capitol and our country, with the same extraordinary generosity and spirit of service seen on the 6th. January. On behalf of the entire Lower House, we are deeply grateful. “

The collision and the shots occurred at a checkpoint near the Capitol, on a day when Congress is in recess.

The event occurred about 100 yards (91 meters) from the building’s entrance on the Senate side. The fence that blocked vehicle traffic in that area was recently removed as restrictions imposed since January 6 have been lifted.

Authorities installed a high-rise fence around the Capitol and for months restricted vehicle traffic on the streets surrounding the building, but in recent weeks they had begun to partially lift the restrictions.

The collision and shooting occurred at a checkpoint near the Capitol while Congress is in legislative recess. The incident occurred nearly three months after a mob stormed the Capitol as Congress certified Joe Biden’s electoral victory.

The incident, of which no further details are known at the moment, forced to temporarily close the US Capitol building, seat of the two Houses of Congress. Later the authorities reopened it.

It was about one “external security threat”, according to the alert message that legislators, employees and journalists had received.

The reporters who were in the compound have published on Twitter images where you can see a helicopter landing next to the building, as well as numerous emergency services vehicles and police.

In this video they looked ambulances and other emergency services vehicles.



Leave a Comment