The possibilities that MIUI offers us are almost endless. Its high level of customization and its large number of options and functionalities, on many occasions they go unnoticed, thus avoiding that we get the most out of our Xiaomi.
That is why after the previous edition, today we bring you seven new MIUI hidden utilities, options and / or settings, which you probably did not know. Little tricks that will make it easier for you to use your Xiaomi, Redmi or POCO, in a more extensive way than usual.
With that, you will be able to squeeze all the functionalities of your Xiaomi, not only at the level of customization, but also in the face of possible failures. In addition, below we will explain how you can transfer files from a Xiaomi to a computer without cable and other interesting utilities.
1. Safe mode, a must to rule out failures
Among the many options that MIUI allows us, we find its Safe Mode. This allows us to rule out failures produced by applications that we have installed, since our Xiaomi will only start with the essential apps.
To access this mode, we will only have to carry out the following steps:
- Turn off our smartphone completely.
- Turn it on normally and when the MIUI logo appears, press and hold the volume down button until the system starts up completely.
To find out if our Xiaomi has entered the Safe Mode O Safe mode, this will indicate it to us in the lower left part. In addition, to get out of this mode we will only have to restart the terminal in a traditional way.
2. Add a video as wallpaper
With the arrival of MIUI 12, Xiaomi has made it easier for us to set a video as wallpaper. We will no longer have to convert it to GIF format before, but just follow the following steps:
- Go to the Gallery and access the video that we want to configure as the wallpaper of our Xiaomi.
- Next, from the video options (three-point icon) we will choose the option «Set video background«.
3. Take long exposure photos
The camera that Xiaomi uses in its smartphones has more options than we imagine. Without going any further, this allows us take photographs with prologue exhibition like the one we can see on these lines, all in an extremely simple way. To carry out we will only have to:
- Go to Camera> More> Long Exposure
- Once inside, all you have to do is activate the «Neon trails»
- From the settings of this mode we can modify the exposure time or activate a guide to take the photograph adjusted to the horizon.
4. Transfer photos, videos and documents to a PC without using a cable
You’ve probably ever wondered how transfer files between your Xiaomi and a computer if you did not have a USB cable. Very easy, the application Shareme allows us to do so, just using the WiFi of our internet connection. To do this, you just have to follow the following steps:
- Go to the ShareMe application and access the option «Connect to computer»Found in the upper left menu.
- Once inside, click on «Start»And then we configure the access method, that is, with or without a password.
Next we will be shown the IP address that we will have to access from the browser or better yet, from a FTP client. Once we enter, the complete directory tree of our smartphone will be listed.
5. Show two clocks on screen
Another option that MIUI allows us and that very few know about is the functionality Dual Watch. This allows us display two different clocks on the screen, especially for those who work two different hours or have a family outside the same country or region. To activate it on a Xiaomi:
- Go to Settings> Additional settings> Date and time
- Once inside we will activate the option «Dual watch»And then we will choose the time zone that we want to show.
6. Modify the contrast and colors of the screen
Whether you have an AMOLED or IPS LCD screen, it may be that the colors of this do not convince you. For this Xiaomi integrates in MIUI several settings related to the color scheme, letting us customize the hue and temperature to our liking.
To modify the color scheme of your Xiaomi screen, you just have to do the following:
- Go to Settings> Display> Color scheme
- Once inside we will adjust the mode or we will do it manually.
7. Save battery by using Chrome shortcuts
Although this functionality results more from the Chrome browser, its usefulness for use on a Xiaomi smartphone is quite interesting. And it is that, in order to save battery we can avoid using certain apps to switch to using your own website.
Without going any further, Chrome allows us create shortcuts from any website on our Xiaomi desktop. This combined with platforms such as Facebook that have a fairly advanced mobile Web version, will avoid having to download your application and simply access your Web.
In order to create a shortcut, we just have to carry out the following steps:
- Go to Chrome and access the Web page for which we want to create a shortcut.
- Once we have entered, we access the options through the three upper points and then click on «Add to home screen«.
- After that we will only have to add the name we want and this will be added to the home screen of our smartphone as if it were another application.
Computer engineer addicted to new technologies and home automation in general.